Side Crunch at Home: Quite literally, a crunch with a twist! Frequently confused with the bicycle crunch, this variation strengthens the upper abs and obliques inward. Your abdominal muscles will feel the burn with each movement of this exercise.
Side Crunch – Requirements
Equipment required: Mat (optional)
Sets & reps: 3 sets of 15-20 reps each
Intensity: Low (beginner)
How to do side crunch?
- With your knees bent, lie flat on your back on the floor.
- Place your hands slightly over your ears, touching the side of your head with your fingers.
- Raise your upper body alternately in the direction of either knee. You can attempt this by bringing your right elbow into contact with your left knee.
- Curl your upper body up and twist to build stress in the major target area, the upper abs.
- Hold for a few seconds before gradually resuming the beginning posture. This is one repetition.
Tip: This exercise is a modification of the standard crunch; in that it involves rising the torso in the crunch but with a slight twist in the side crunch.